Sunday, February 12

The Time is Now

     And so, it begins. The first (more or less) half of the AICE Media Studies AS curriculum is over, and the film opening begins. No more easy projects that Cambridge doesn't care about. We're on to the real stuff!!! But wait. What even is a film opening? 

    Film Openings, as defined by Wikipedia is "the method by which films or television programmes present their title and key production and cast members, utilizing conceptual visuals and sound." WOW. Those are a lot of complicated words. Let me sum it up real quick. Basically, a film opening is just the first minute or 2 the audience sees and needs to tell them about what the movie will be about. Since I will only be presenting my 2-minute film opening, I need to be able to convey a lot about the main story, just from this idea but also maintain a sense of curiosity to keep viewers engaged and wanting to watch more. 

    The good thing is that I am prepared!!! Ever since I signed up for this class last year, I knew what the AICE exam would be and started brainstorming all the way back in 2022, about what ideas I should use for my film opening. Taking my background in musical theatre, I initially thought it would be a SUPER neat and creative idea if I made a musical for my film opening, but after some thoughts on logistics and whatnot, I realized this would be a LOT harder than it seemed. Next, I thought about the different projects I helped with last year. I was an actor in about 4 film openings last year, ranging from spy scenes to football scenes. I originally wanted to create a football movie film opening, but after some thoughts about it, I knew that I would like to be behind the camera, and that would take most of the fun of doing an actual football one. (Since I am a huge football fan, I also play football.) At the end of the day, I knew I wanted to do some sort of sports film opening, and then I watched Hustle on Netflix. WOW. I was thoroughly shocked and impressed. It was one of the greatest sports movies of all time (in my opinion). I thought the cinematography was phenomenal, along with the storytelling. And so, around August last year, I had decided what my film opening was going to be. A basketball movie, with some aspects of Hustle. 

    Now that I know what sort of film opening I want to do, I can sort of plan out my next steps. I'm not going to make a whole calendar just yet, because I'm not entirely sure about the details, but I know that I need to research the target markets and the genre of sports movies. Being able to understand audiences is crucial to how to create a great film, and capturing attention. After I research the genre, I need to plan out the entire storyline of my film. Once the whole storyline is created, it's going to be a lot easier to understand what the film opening should include, and how to create mystery at every step of the way. Once that is created, I would ideally move on to filming and whatnot. 

    To sum it up: I'm ready. I cannot wait to go create this absolute BANGER of a film opening and impress everyone reading this message right now. I will work hard and diligently on this project and use the filmmaking skills I learned in Stoklosa as well as throughout my own time. Anyways, it's time to go watch the super bowl. Score prediction: Chiefs 31-29 Eagles. We shall see if that's right. 

    Have a great day! Let's GOOOOO. ( I am a huge sports fan, so I'm super excited to make a sports film opening.) Maybe the beginning will be cool shots at practice?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 I hope you enjoy it! Click here! Oh, and if you're bored, feel free to watch my other postings on YouTube!