Thursday, February 16

Genre Research pt 1

    Hello fellow earthlings. I come in peace. 


Good morning! 


Today is a great day because today I will be learning a lot about my target audience. However, in order to learn about my target audience, I must learn about my genre first! So, proceeding from the previous post, I plan on doing a film opening for the genre of sports, or sometimes it can be known as a drama with sports involved. Since I don't have my story all the way planned out, I will just be focusing on the genre of sports. 

Woo hoo! I've already done the hardest part in choosing my genre and now must do actual research on this genre. Essentially, what makes a sports movie fit into the category of sports genres?

Today, I will be analyzing what different sources say about what makes said movie a sports movie, and tomorrow I will be analyzing specific movies individually to see what they do to become a sports movie. 

It is helpful to mention that Wikipedia states that sports genres can have subcategories of sports dramas or sports comedies and that while sports fans are not necessarily the target audience in these movies, sports fans do tend to be a big percentage of viewers. 


Wikipedia states sports films typically

-have a richly developed sports world

-be more player oriented or thematically complex

-feature a hero of adventure origins

-a clear distinction between loss and victory

-"our team" vs "their team" mentality


Masterclass states sports films typically contain

-the underdog story (a player that is not expected to win, and then attempts to succeed. Sort of like the David versus Goliath theme) 

-the redemption story (a team or athlete that tries to redeem themselves after falling from great heights)

-true story (can feature historically true stories regarding sports)


Sean Crosson states sports films 

-are gaining recognition as one of the most popular genres today

-provide audiences with affirmative pleasure (showing why sports films are so popular)

-recently have become their own genre

-often contain a plot of overcoming the odds to win last minute

-is very divided into subgenres

-are given high expectations because of televised sporting events becoming so entertaining


In total;


What I've learned so far today is that the movie that I plan on creating needs to follow some of the themes mentioned above in order for it to be considered a sports film. I will have to work on that while creating the storyline in the upcoming days or next week. Tomorrow, I plan on researching individual successful sports movies to see what they did that made them so successful. See you then!


Also, a basic schedule I will be loosely following can be viewed here as assisted by my teacher Mrs. Stoklosa



Week One:

-choose project genre

-begin developing full film plot

-research genre and story ideas

-post to blog



Week Two:

-continue research on project components

-continue to develop story – land on final idea for film opening

-post to blog



Week Three:

-continue to research project components (if necessary)

-develop script

-develop filming/editing schedule

-create shot list

-post to blog



Week Four:

-continue to research project components (if necessary)

-begin production of film opening

-post to blog



Week Five:

-continue to research project components (if necessary)

-continue production of film opening

-begin editing of film opening

-post to blog



Week Six:

-research information relating to creative critical reflection

-finish editing of film opening

-post to blog



Week Seven:

-research information relating to Creative Critical Reflection

-create Creative Critical Reflection

-post to blog



Week Eight:

-create final, overall project reflection

-post project and CCR to blog

Here are some citations for today:

Riley. Riley’s AICE Media Studies Blog: February 2022. rileyaicemediastudies.blogspot.com/2022/02.

The Sports Film. openjournals.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/kinema/article/download/1320/1730?inline=1.

Sports Movie Genre: 18 Iconic Sports Movies.

Wikipedia contributors. “Sports Film.” Wikipedia, 16 Feb. 2023, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 I hope you enjoy it! Click here! Oh, and if you're bored, feel free to watch my other postings on YouTube!