Sunday, February 19

PLOT STORY DEVELOPMENT

Good morning

Good morning everyone, how are you all today. Today is a huge and exciting day because today is the day that I'm going to plan for my storyline for my film opening, but also for my whole movie. I've had some time to think about my ideas from yesterday,  I am currently at a Starbucks with my friend Riley (who did this class last year), and we are here together brainstorming ideas for this movie. I will be attaching audio clips of us actually brainstorming. 

Instead of doing the end scene first, I might want to do a middle-to-end scene first!

Below, I'm going to be thinking out loud, rather than using a paper, I'm just going to be jotting down my thoughts to show proof of my brainstorming process.

Brainstorming:

Blake Kazinec as actor?

Being hated on because of his height?

How the movie will end: star actor gets drafted by the NBA.

Now all I need is obstacles he will overcome, and introducing conflict and relationship.

Meaning I'm going to do a drama sports film. 

The movie will cover a total of 2 years.

THE MAIN OBSTACLE WILL BE HIS INJURY. 

scene is him hitting the buzzer beater or getting drafted and flashing back to him in the hospital bed going what time is it. 

Gets drafted by the 76ers? 

maybe gun shot? 

cant use clips of actual commissioner bc copywriter 

him getting shot ina  school shooting

him getting drafted 

then flashback to real life

him getting picked up in ambulance

taken to hospital

with radio chatter "gunshot wound blah blah"

him being like where am I

his girlfriend saying its gonna be okay crying

his family too

and then news showing "college basketball player shot in just the most recent school shooting.

WHOLE THING IS BRIngiNG AWARENESS AND ATTENTION TO SCHOOL SHOOTINGs

 blake dedicates his career earnings to stopping gun violence? 

Storyline could be blake getting injured and then overcoming injuries to be drafted into the NBA, while he struggles with his relationship with his girlfriend, and has his supportive parents backing him.. 

Basic movie plot

Blake in his sophomore year shoots a shot and makes it but 

Maybe use superhero as a background when he gets drafted?

When he gets drafted he's at home.

commissioner announces he gets drafted and then it goes, Blake Kazinec 


Movie will help bring awareness to gun shootings and hopefully help prevent them

ACTUAL STORYLINE

Film Opening:  

first 30 seconds to a minute or so: Blake getting drafted by the NBA this scene needs to include some highlights of blake playing, the commissioner announcing the pick, him getting drafted, and celebrating with family, (maybe showing something about his past or advertising anti guns). Make like a typical NBA draft scene. Mentioning the shooting and what happened before?

next 40 seconds to a minute: hospital scene. Blake getting picked up by ambulance and taken to hospital, hospital showing nurses rushing around, family worried and rushing to try and find out information. Then Blake waking up some time later. AND THEN THE GRIND BACK TO BALL BEGINS.

The rest of the movie plot will show:


-Blakes's recovery and constant PT and basketball practice to try and get back in the game


-Blake's struggles with his relationships as he battles the motivation and will to keep going (sort of like Dr. Strange's relationship struggles after injury)

-Blake having a phenomenal junior season showing his recovery, the constant team wins, and leading to high ranking in march madness

-Blake getting drafted by NBA






Reasoning for Certain storyline points:

Why Basketball?

I love basketball and was inspired by the movie Hustle. Also, I think that there are a lot less basketball movies out there compared to other sports such as football, so I wanted to balance that out a little.


Why name the character Blake?

The name isn't officially decided. I was just using Blake as the filler name for now since the actor's name is blake. 

Why put such a tragic spin on the story?

Firstly, I wanted to create a sports drama film, and random story twists are great ways to get the target audience involved and loving the story. Additionally, the spin of the story is inspired by real events that are happening almost every day in America; school or mass shootings.

Why include mass shootings, or more specifically school shootings>

School shootings are becoming increasingly more and more common, which is horrible. I have a very strong opinion regarding this topic because I know a lot of people that have been personally affected by deaths from school shootings. In fact, I have a couple friends that attend Michigan State University, where a shooting occurred 7 days ago. My friends were posting videos on their stories of them running away while gunshots are heard. Shootings like these are caused by a lot of reasons, including loose gun laws. My hope is that with this movie, I will be able to help bring awareness to the issue of gun shootings and get legislation to create change so that shootings don't happen so often. All in all, I don't just want this movie to be entertainment to people, but to also serve as a message to the general public, and warn them about issues of injustice that exist in society today. 

*a lot of decisions about casting and actual filming will be decided based on availability and convenience. I'm not paying people to act in this, so I don't have a wide choice of who can be my actors for this film.*

Why include relationship struggles in the story? 

I used the research that I learned previously about my target audience to help with this choice. My target audience of a sports drama film loves to see relationships and conflicts in their films, and I decided to accomplish both of them with this film.

How is this going to be a sports drama film? How will this fit within the genre?

To answer this question, a lot of my story making ideas came from the research I conducted. I know that typical trends in these genres include overcoming obstacles, hard work beating everything, and overcoming odds. Therefore, my story encompasses all these trends to fit into the genre but also stands out by me incorporating unique ideas such as the tragic spin on the story. Also, most sports films don't serve as societal messages, while this one will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 I hope you enjoy it! Click here! Oh, and if you're bored, feel free to watch my other postings on YouTube!